Last night I finished watching Goongnyeo (2007), otherwise known as Shadows in the Palace although the name translates literally to "palace woman". Overall I did not much care for it. SPOILERS: My primary problem was that it tried to be two movies at once -- a serious mystery drama and a j-pop horror , and the later really detracted from the former, which I thought was doing just fine until about the half-way point of the film. If they had kept to slowly unraveling the details of the murder, I'd have been happy. Instead, they introduced the mystical and once that happens any detective work goes right out the door. It really bothered me! I was also upset by the brutal and grotesque violence that those women had to endure, portrayed in such detail. I mean it was just so vivid, so graphic, I was just turned right off. I suppose the director wanted to get the point across that we were once barbarians. They surely succeeded in that regard. Which is too bad because I was quit...
Well hello there. Shall I tell you how I've been? Better, better. The weather, as always, helps, and though it is wet it is also warm, a richness of life. Got my green belt , yay. An exhausting test, and one can see me growing older and more haggard in each photo as I find my second, third and umpteenth wind. A good day, and nice to have some familiar faces show up. It looks like I may keep up with my karate this year, who knows. Work, well, work is work, getting stuff done but hardly feel like talking about any of it. Did you know that I've been there for nearly SIX years ? Boggles the mind, it does. No real news, in any case. Eating well, to be sure. I've been living at my condo for over a year and have only visited the St. Lawrence Market a handful of times. What a world of food I've been missing! This could be my new weekly thing. Breads, vegetables, cheeses, meats... joy! Oh hey we had that federal election, didn't we? And what rot it was! Egads I get sic...
It's hard to have a lot of hope for the future, what with the ongoing, unrelenting genocide, the fire sale of public services, the rise of the extreme right, the incessant slurping of AI slop. This last one truly irks me, that we've just decided that the environmental, cognitive, and societal costs are worth polluting media with a deluge of false imagery and spam. I've heard speculation that this bubble will pop but what will that look like? It definitely feels like things are going to get a lot worse before any relief will come. I've been playing a lot of video games lately.. well, sampling games is more like it, just a taste here, a nibble there. I just find that I don't have the mental endurance to do much else after my evening chores. Even writing this is like pushing a cart through mud, the thick tar of my mind. Namely, I've been really enjoying Sworn ( Steam ), an unabashed copy of Hades but somehow a lot more fun. The game manages to hit the sweet spot of...
Comments
Post a Comment