new york in april

I'm back from Manhattan, having spent the weekend there for the Northeast Conference on Science and Skepticism. I may get around to writing up some comprehensive notes about it later, but for now suffice to say that I enjoyed it very much, having learnt a lot and met many fine individuals. Additionally, David and I managed to hand out cards for the show, so here's to hoping that we get some new listeners! Although, I must admit I am simultaneously mortified at the things that people may hear me utter. Oh, I am neither eloquent or enjoyable to hear, and it stresses me that my spoken voice does little justice to my character.

New York itself was nice. The warm weather made for some glorious strolls, though I had only a handful of free hours to enjoy it in. On my longer hike I was pleased by how many people recognized my Siouxsie Sioux shirt, one of my few treasured garments. It genuinely felt good to breathe in the city, to observe its thick cultural mixture, to look up and see buildings that have been enjoyed by generations.

We ate humbly, there not being the time to fully, deeply partake in what NYC had to offer. My best meal was probably a simple bowl of oatmeal with almonds, apple, and maple syrup from Birch coffee, a moment of quiet where I had nothing but this meal to attend to. Else-wise, I had a lot of hamburgers, available on pretty much every corner.

I stayed at the Gershwin Hotel, it being economically located for my tastes. Adequate is how I'd describe my lodgings, though some might find its spartan rooms cramped and claustrophobic. Myself, I was quite comfortable with my earplugs, laptop and wine.

Getting to and from New York was a fairly trouble-free affair -- flight to Newark International, an hour wait at customs (!), shuttle to the train station, then a train to New York Penn. Station. The kindness of strangers came into play many times, frequently answering our troubled speculations.

Now I am back. And there is so much to do!

Comments

Hotness

Enter Whitby

Peterborough

Yo