The Dark Knight, Attack the Gas Station

Lo my brothers I bring great tidings from the other side! There I have seen the truth and the way, and it is good. A golden age has come upon us, and its name is The Dark Knight. Long I have waited for its arrival, and my patience has been well rewarded. Nay, such riches beyond my imagination: such acting, action, story, drama! All in great measure, all to great effect. Heath Ledger's Joker is surely the villain of the year, a complex, intelligent, dangerous, eloquent, unpredictable animal with a charm that fills every scene. I mean, superb acting all around but Ledger is just a dynamo, a catalyst -- he makes the movie the satisfying experience that it is. And of course, as with all films I recommend, this one has an excellent ending which I shan't otherwise comment on. Go forth and enjoy!

Hmmm while I'm here I'll also quickly write my thoughts on Attack the Gas Station ("Juyuso seubgyuksageun"), a Korean comedy from 1999. Four ne'er-do-well punks attempt to rob a gas station only to find that there's no money in the till. Rather than move on, they lock up the attendants and perform their gas-filling duties, pocketing the payments. Over the course of the night we learn a little about each young man. I like that everyone acts seriously, that there's no break of character and all of the numerous roles are approached with high energy and enthusiasm. It makes what sounds like a very contrived film actually quite palatable, indeed pleasurable. I laughed quite a few times. And perhaps it's just curiousity speaking, but I liked getting yet another glimpse into a culture that is both foreign and familiar to me.

(In particular, it seems striking others is very common there! Or at least, the movies certainly portray it thus!)

Comments

Hotness

Enter Whitby

Peterborough

Yo